Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Unionized & Recognized

I never really knew how to feel about teacher unions.  I never really planned to be a part of the union.  I didn't like the idea of people coming together to complain about their teaching career.  I always thought that if you had a problem you could sit down as adults and fix it with your principal or whoever that you are having an issue with.  Just the way teacher unions were portrayed in the media I knew that they were not for me.  I just wanted to go into the classroom, teach, and go home.  I would never have the need to be a part of this organization because I was never going to have issues.  

Well I'm halfway in my first year of teaching and not only did I just sign up to be a part of the union, but the teachers voted me as the school's union delegate.  I didn't run for this position and I didn't ask for this position.  No one else wanted it so I was voted on because I have a " strong voice".  Obviously my views on unions have changed because after experiencing the things that I have at this school there had to be something that could save the teachers here.  

Along with being unionized this past week I was also recognized.  We don't get a lot of pat on the backs and genuine "great work".   So this one came as a GIANT surprise.   I was walking up the stairs to the fourth floor (elevator hasn't been working for the past few months-also learned this was against union policy) and I was stopped by the principal.  Wait the wrong principal.  The principal from the other school.  She said, "Ms. P you have your kids. You manage your kids very well.  Good work".  

Those words made my day.  Honestly I don't even care if I have good management or not.  That genuine and specific compliment not only made me feel a whole lot better about myself, but it also gave me that push to keep doing my best.  I will make every effort to make sure that my students are on top of it whenever we pass by this principal from now on.  

Positive reinforcement people.  It's not only for the students.  It works on teachers as well.

-Ms. P

  

No comments:

Post a Comment