Monday, June 16, 2014

Letting Go

If you ever asked me what's the hardest part about teaching I would probably say that it is letting your kids go. My 8th graders graduated last week and most of my current students will not be returning next year. As much as they have gotten on my nerves, I will miss them.  It is so hard to see them go and move on not because I won't be their teacher anymore, but because I don't know what will become of them.  Where will the go?  What will they be doing 10 years from now?  Who will they be?   Will they graduate high school?  Will they drop out? I don't know and for most I will never know.  It is hard to just let them leave.  You've protected them, listened to their problems,  and sat down with them to help them overcome issues.  And then all of a sudden you have to let them go and move on.  

Last year I was having a conversation with my cooperating teacher about this topic and she said that sometimes she sees her students on the news.  Either shot, dead, or arrested. 

God forbid that my own students will ever meet this faith.  

Hopefully there will be another me waiting for them in their next classroom that will be able to see their potential. 

It's the hardest thing ever letting them go.  

-Ms. P 

No comments:

Post a Comment