Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Forget the Science Museums

Remember field trips during school?  I remember going to zoos, museums, aquariums, plays, and basically every other educational place out there.  Did a learn a thing or two during these trips?  Yes of course I did and so did my classmates.

But as I look at my students and learn more and more about them everyday, I realize that museums and zoos are not enough for them.  Field trips should be much more than that.  They should be a way out for my students.  Last week we took a trip to D.C. and it was amazing.  Of course we saw all of the monuments and learned about the history of our country and blah blah, but we gave our students the opportunity to travel, something that most of them have never done before and never will.  We showed them the outside world, the real world.

"Ms. P! There's so many white people!"

That's a phrase that I will never forget.  They live in a country which is known as the melting pot of the world, yet they have failed to actually live in it.  These are the experiences that my students need.  So here starts my journey to make sure that these students get to experience as many places before they leave me...as long as the budget allows for it.


-Ms. P

No comments:

Post a Comment