Monday, January 20, 2014

And Then There Were Two

We started with four middle school teachers: Math, ELA, Science, and Social Studies.  We lost the original math teacher first semester and we're about to lose our original ELA teacher this week.

I'm trying not to be selfish, but I really wanted her to stay.  Stay for me and stay for the kids.  I know it's bad and I know I shouldn't be selfish and let her go because her reasoning is completely understandable.  Personal issues on top of school issues would just be too much for her to handle. Totally understandable.  

Everything is basically up in the air right now.  Will my schedule change for the fourth time this year? Will science be considered a not so important subject and will I now have to teach 7th and 8th grade ELA?  Will they even hire a new ELA teacher?  Will the students' behavior be back to day 1 behavior? Who knows.  Anything can happen.  Like I've said before no consistency.  

But these kids!  They went through two ELA teachers last year now this is their second this year too. It's unfortunate but there is nothing I can do or nothing they can do.  We are helpless.  We will come back next week pick up the pieces and do it all over again.  What else can we do in a place where teacher turnover is greater than student achievement?

-Ms. P

No comments:

Post a Comment